Translate

Sunday, February 5, 2017

JAB's Rockworm (Improved)

Notes:

(1)  This is the third "improvement" I have made to this fly.  It is highly doubtful I try to improve upon it again unless a new material fancies me.  Yes, it is that deadly on a few of the rivers I fish.
(2)  The body is wound using light olive Glitter Thread.  However, Glitter Thread alone proves to be a little too bright.  It wasn't until I took a light tan marker to the body and dulled the Glitter Thread's metallic brilliancy that this pattern became "lights out!"   The olive color will still show through the tan... This matched the olive net builders in a couple rivers perfectly!  Excellent mottled effect on this fly!
(3)  Adding UV resin to the body is optional, but I do so (if time allows) to bombproof the body.
(4)  After trying several colors of glass beads I have settled on metallic bronze.
(5)  This is an excellent dropper fly.  I usually run this in conjunction with a stonefly pattern in riffle and pocket water.
(6)  If your favorite river contains a lot of algae this is your fly!  The little buggers love the environment!

Materials:

Hook:  Fulling Mill Czech Nymph, sizes 14 and 16 (Size 16 pictured.)
Bead:  11/0 for size 14 and 15/0 for size 16.  Metallic Bronze.  Coffee color tungsten is a great choice.  I wrapped the body with tungsten thread for weight and taper.
Thread:  UTC 70, Brown
Tail:  Unravel the end of two pieces of light olive Glitter Thread and remove the mylar tinsel.  You should have 10-strands of a material similar to Antron yarn.  Tie this in and cut short.
Body:  Glitter Thread, light olive and colored with a Pantone pen, light tan.
Thorax:  Awesome 'Possum dyed dark brown and mixed with clear Antron.

No comments:

Post a Comment