Translate

Sunday, September 9, 2018

JAB's Polar Flash - #9 of 150

I have been playing around a lot with different winging materials over the years.  More so now that I reside in California within short distances of some of the best waters an angler can fish.  And these waters contain hungry, midge friendly browns and rainbows

One winging material I have really taken a liking to is Sybai's Polar Flash in UV Gray.  It is mixture of (longer than normal) translucent synthetic fibers and/or UV or pearl flashIt has a nice effect in the water without being too flashy and is a perfect winging material for midges.

The Polar Flash Midge is an easy tie and comprises of a thread body, colored wire, Polar Flash wing and a thorax of Super Fine dubbing.  Color combinations are the sky's limit.  My favorite colors for this pattern on my local waters are:  black/chartreuse (pictured), brown/chartreuse, olive/chartreuse, brown/olive, brown/copper and cream/brown.

The length of wings will vary by tier, but I typically cut them to the end of the body. This allows me to tailor the length on the water, if needed.  With stiff/heavy materials, e.g., Krystal Flash, I cut them just over halfway of the body.

Materials:

Hook:  TMC 2488 or 2488H, sizes 18-24 (Size 22 pictured)
Thread:  14/0 Veevus, color of choice.  (Black pictured)
Ribbing:  Hend's 0.09 color of choice.  (Chartreuse pictured)
Wing:  Sybai Polar Flash, UV Gray
Thorax:  Super Fine dubbing matching body color 

Polar Flash Midge, Midge Emerger, Syabia Polar Flash, Hends Wire, TMC Hooks, Veevus Thread

No comments:

Post a Comment